Tales From The Cube

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Candid Conversation With The Lovable Roxanne B.

Cliff T.: While working in a call centre in Edmonton Alberta I often had to call for assistance. One of those who made my job much easier is still a good friend of mine today. Her name is Roxanne This month she marks a mile stone in her life the big 50. Rox first let me say again that I would like to wish you a happy 50th birthday.

Roxanne: Thank you Cliff.

Cliff T.: 50 is a milestone indeed. What are you planning to do to mark the occasion?

Roxanne: Well at first I was going to have a big party but being me I just wanted to have an open house where all my friends can come together and celebrate with my family and I.

Cliff T.: Is there anyone special you will be thinking about during your birthday celebrations and if so whom and why?

Roxanne: My mothers (both passed) I was adopted but I knew my birth mom. They taught me some very valuable lessons. I would just like to be able to thank them.

Cliff T.: One of the things I often wondered about when I was working with you in Edmonton was why Edmonton, what was the attraction to the city?

Roxanne: My partner was in the Military and was posted. I at the time did not think about how far away from my family I would be.

Cliff T.: What is the best part about living in Edmonton?

Roxanne: I have made so many new friends.

Cliff T.: From your Facebook description I noted that you hail from the East Coast Nova Scotia to be exact. I am pretty sure you go back to visit folks there. What is a typical visit back home like?

Roxanne: I get so excited that the car does not seem to go fast enough. First there is a lot of kissing and crying. I come from a small community so when people drive by they notice a car in the driveway and they come in for a visit. Then the coffee comes out and the conversations and reminiscing starts. Lots of fish fries and visiting and of course church. I have been told I can sing like and angel so I sing when I go home. The ladies in the community request a Hymn and I sing with or without music. Then I know my visit is complete.

Cliff T.: Have you ever considered going back to your hometown now that the company you worked with has left Edmonton? Why or why not?

Roxanne: I did think about going back but there is no work there.

Cliff T.: Do you have a dream job and if so are you going to try to make it happen?

Roxanne: Funny you should ask. When I was a small girl about 8 a Neiman Marcus catalog found its way into our home. I spent days looking at that catalog and said one day I want to work for them. I found the most wonderful feeling of helping customers but also my fellow employees. To me the best part of my day was that I made my customer happy my fellow employees and most of all I felt so satisfied.

Cliff T.: As I mentioned 50 is a biggie in terms of milestones. What do you think your greatest achievement has been?

Roxanne: That I have made a difference in the world. God gave me a gift of a smile and I try my best to share it. I will smile and people have said it makes them smile. Knowing that I have given someone a small happiness in and otherwise disappointing day is an achievement in its. To me everyone should have a happy moment in their day, we have enough angry people out in the world.

Roxanne Currently lives in Edmonton with her husband Chris who is a retired army Sargent and her daughter. She was part of the Neiman Marcus call centre team in Edmonton until it's closure in 2008.

C. T.

No comments: